Nikrothal® TE nickel-chromium alloy
Nikrothal® TE is an austenitic nickel-chromium alloy developed as a replacement for Nikrothal® 80 in tubular element applications. Nikrothal® TE has a nickel content of 66%, compared to 78% for Nikrothal® 80. This gives a significant cost advantage, without technical disadvantages.
The graph shows the cost advantage for Nikrothal® TE compared to Nikrothal® 80 based on different nickel prices.
Savings in $/kg for Nikrothal® TE compared to Nikrothal® 80
Redesign due to higher resistivity
Due to the higher resistivity of Nikrothal® TE the elements need to be redesigned. There are two alternatives for redesign:
1. Keep the same wire dimension
• Use approximately 10% shorter wire length
• Higher surface load on the wire – provides higher temperature
2. Keep the same wire length
• Use slightly (approx. 5%) larger wire diameter
• Lower surface load than for Nikrothal® 80 – means lower temperature and results in longer life
Additional cost savings
Additional cost savings can be made on Nikrothal® TE compared to Nikrothal® 80 facilitated by a weight reduction, because of 1–2% lower density of Nikrothal TE.
By using Nikrothal® TE the total savings compared to Nikrothal® 80 will be at least 10% or more depending on the application.